Categories
Family and Community

Season of Reflection

By Roger Perry
Headmaster, Lakehill Preparatory School

As the school year comes to a close, I fondly recall so many wonderful memories of talking with children, meeting with adults, and celebrating successes, both large and small. My wife has reminded me throughout our marriage of forty-plus years that it truly is the small things that count. She has always been right in this regard.

Recently, I was fortunate to observe several senior internship reports, where our newest graduates spoke of their experiences in professions they are considering for the future. Much of what they learned may have been small, but it helped them as they are progressing in their development. The professionals inĀ our community who worked with them described them as confident, compassionate, friendly, articulate, respectful, and hard working. Those impressions of our students brings me great joy, and is somethingĀ of which we should all be proud.

It also brings a smile to my face when I think about some of the remarkably funny (and often remarkably profound) things that have been said to me during the course of a school day by children. As we enter what I call the Season of Reflection, I encourage you to create opportunities for the little things in your life this summer. Your children, no matter what age, will only have the Summer of 2014 this one time. Cherish the time you have with your children and enjoy the amazing and wonderful things they will say to you. No matter what year this is in your life, consider this the best year and make this summer the best summer ever.

Summertime is for children and all of us – if we look deep enough – have a little bit of child left in us. Enjoy the wonder of summer and make memories that will last a lifetime.