Categories
Family and Community

Bringing the World to My Family

By Heather Dondis
Director of College Counseling, Lakehill Preparatory School

This semester my family had the opportunity to host an international student from China for a few weeks as she was in between housing situations.  We wanted to help out, but we also wanted our children to understand how valuable receiving an education is.  Parents in other countries value the U.S. educational system so much that they are willing to send their children as young as 14 or 15 years old alone to another country to live and study.

We had a great time.  Our student went on family outings with us, learned to decorate sugar cookies, saw her first professional soccer game, and celebrated Easter for the first time ever (she wasn’t so sure about that bunny thing but liked the candy he left behind).  I think my two elementary kids wore her out as she accompanied us to soccer games , dance rehearsals, and end-of-year music performances, but she also enjoyed participating in the life of an American family.

Adding her into the daily activities of my family was really seamless.  Our student, in turn, shared her love of art, music, and food with us and made us think about our own ways of doing things and seeing the world around us.  As Lakehill continues to move forward with an international initiative, more families are needed to host.  If you are flirting with the possibility of hosting,  I am happy to answer any questions you might have.