Categories
Back-to-School Technology Traditions

Off and Running

By Lara Gajkowski, Assistant Headmaster
Lakehill Preparatory School

We are quickly nearing one of my favorite events of the year – Trek for Tech.

I love Trek for Tech for several reasons. It is our best avenue for ensuring that our school is equipped with the latest advances in technology. It is also a time that I more seriously train to run (following Coach Karen Owens’s Training Schedule), and I renew my yearly pledge to challenge myself physically, mentally, and creatively.

As I was running/walking my three miles last night, I thought about all of our students and a sudden rush of mental connectedness and empathy came over me. The first few weeks of a school year are challenging. The first few weeks of training are challenging. As I was struggling with my ¼ mile running lap, concentrating on my strides, breathing, and self-talking (“You can do this”), I thought, this is how the kids must feel. They are concentrating on getting to class, keeping up with their studies and activities, and self-talking (“I can do this”). I was humbled and encouraged by the daunting fortitude it takes to be a Lakehill student. I thought, if the kids can do it, I should give my best effort. Newly inspired, I wiped my brow and ran another lap.

I hope you will join me in my support of our students and our common journey of striving and working to be the best we can. I challenge you to challenge yourself. Coach Karen is only a walk/run away.

Save the date for Trek for Tech – Saturday, November 5, 2016.

Look for more information on Coach Karen’s Couch to 5K in the September 22 issue of The Warrior Weekly.

Trek for Tech