Categories
Back-to-School

A Warm Welcome

By Haley James
First Grade Teacher, Lakehill Preparatory School

As a teacher, I frequently reflect on my experiences as a student. I hope never to lose that perspective; embracing the methods of the teachers I loved, and vowing never to mimic the ones I did not admire.

Shortly into my year as a first grade student, I switched schools. It was the only time in my life where I experienced being “the new kid.” It was terrifying. I was scared of my new teacher. I got lost in the labyrinth of hallways searching for the restroom. All of my classmates already knew each other, and I was the odd one out.

I did not feel that same apprehension again, until I became a new teacher at Lakehill. I joined a new school at the last minute. But this time, my experience was completely different. Since my first day, I felt completely welcomed by parents, students, and teachers. Everyone went out of their way to introduce themselves, and to offer a helping hand.

That’s a rare thing, and I wondered what made Lakehill different. When I learned about the Triangle Rules, specifically the Welcome Rule, it dawned on me. The Welcome Rule is so embedded in the culture of Lakehill that it has become second nature for everyone. Every single day I watch children including each other. I see teachers mentoring new members. It is clear that the Welcome Rule goes all the way to the top with Mr. Perry greeting each child in the morning.

Lakehill is not like most schools. And that’s a beautiful thing.

haley-james