Categories
Traditions

A Great Day Out

By Kaye Hauschild
Lakehill Preparatory School, Head of Middle School

Do you know when there is a day that is so close to perfect that you are kind of waiting for the stray rain cloud to fly over and mess it up? I had one of those perfect days last Friday and was able to share it with all of my students and my fellow teachers. It was Fall Day Out at Lakehill, of course, and we took the day off to go to the farm.

I am not normally an outdoorsy person. I cringe at cow paddies and have to stop myself from sending really creepy spiders into a different atmosphere. A day at the farm is so much more than bugs and such; it is a day to get to know each other in a whole different way.

At the farm, everyone is free to explore. We walk the open grounds of the pasture and we build something with the tree branches saved for fire wood. We get to know some very skittish chickens and we soar high on a rope swing. We laugh as loudly as we like without disturbing anyone and we join in games that do not require a plug.

We get to sit on the porch and talk, sometimes making new friends and other times celebrating such rare time with old friends. These are just some of the things that make for a special day and a long-kept memory. I truly love Fall Day Out!

Lara Gajkowski and Kaye Hauschild grill burgers for 150 hungry Middle School students.

Hayride Fun

Having fun with good friends.