Categories
Family and Community

The Legacy of A Smile

By Victoria John
Latin and Mathematics Teacher, Lakehill Preparatory School

May you see your children’s children growing on your family tree;

Such a crown of life’s true riches they can be…

Life may bring you fame or fortune,

But your greatest legacy is to plant a strong and fruitful family tree.

Life is a rhapsody of loving; both sad and joyful poetry;

But in your symphony of living the most important melody is family.

I love Lakehill’s traditions. For thirteen years I have felt part of this caring family, as I experience annual celebrations. From our opening picnic, Homecoming, and the Halloween Carnival to Trek for Tech, the Holiday Luncheon, Adventure Week and the Skating Party, my favorite is Grandparents Day. Even before I became a grandmother, I enjoyed this gathering.

My favorite part of Grandparents Day is the end, where we sing the words above from “Family Tree,” written for Lakehill by Jack Noble White. Every student from kindergarten through twelfth grade, every teacher, every administrator and every staff member join voices to celebrate the gift of family. It is a moment that fills me with love and pride for my extended family.

We started a new tradition this year with the creation of Tribes, small groups of students who meet monthly to share activities and build a bond as they create new memories. Cat Huitt and I are tribal leaders of thirteen delightful students in grades one, four, seven, and ten. At our first meeting everyone shared a favorite memory. Seventh grade student Shelby Britton touched my heart with her remembrance of her grandmother.

“My grandmother’s formal name was Lola Mosley, but absolutely no one called her that. No one. Friends, family, acquaintances, and random strangers all called her Nana. I don’t really know how that nickname came about, but I do know that I had to ask my mother her real name. No one called her Lola.

She was a very strong-willed person and was not a ‘girly girl’ in the sense that she could be as tough, if not tougher, than all the guys in my family. You could tell her absolutely anything, and she would not think for a second about judging you. She also had really good advice about pretty much anything you could imagine, especially cooking.

Her home was always open. Whenever I would visit her, there was usually someone there with her, drinking coffee or watching the news. I really can’t remember a time when she didn’t have a coffee mug in her hand or a smile on her face.

My favorite memory of her was when she would tell my cousin and me stories about her past when we spent the night. I remember this one story about how she would drag race in the alley behind the neighborhood theater  The main thing that stood out about this story was that her competition was none other than the town’s policeman. ‘Yes, policeman.’ Needless to say, she was very outgoing or almost always doing something for someone else.

Nana treated me like I was one of the adults. She would never call me the usual childish names like ‘baby’ or the name, ‘Booboo,” which I am called by my family. ‘Ugh.’

She made me feel special. She wouldn’t say I was her favorite grandchild or anything like that, but she had her ways of telling me I meant the world to my family. For some reason, she chose to tell me that. I always knew they loved me, but I couldn’t wrap my brain around how much. That’s probably the best thing she ever did for me.

Nana was an amazingly great influence in my life. When I talk about her, all I can do is laugh. I think that is the best legacy a person can leave.”

Thank you, Shelby, for these heartfelt memories of your Nana. Her legacy will continue as you touch others with your gifts.

At Lakehill’s fifteenth annual Grandparent’s Day on Friday, November 16, from 9:30-11:00 a.m., we celebrate family with the legacy of a smile.